Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My new love

I have a new love.  It is gardening.  This weekend we have cleaned up the yard a bit and are getting ready for Ella's birthday party (which will be outside).  I wanted to plant some flowers in pots and we replaced some flower bushes as well.  This last weekend I was even out pulling weeds a lot, and it was so relaxing surprisingly!  I learned that I enjoy digging in the dirt and my new favorite store is.....(brace yourself)....Home Depot.  Yep, you read that right.  I have become my dad and LOVE Home Depot.  I could spend hours in their garden center!!  I love all the beautiful flowers and the wonderful smells!  I think my dream would be to have my own "Secret Garden", filled with lush trees, bushes and hundreds of flowers!

With this new love of mine, I made a transformation in our yard.  Take a look at my new favorite place:



Yep, that is our old fire pit and is now my beautiful flower garden.  6 or 7 years ago (can't remember now) when we designed our backyard, we thought it would be wonderful to have a built in fire pit.  Fast forward to today, and I am embarrassed to say that it was never used.  Not once.  We used to have logs in it which looked nice.....but then found out that was a great hiding place for scorpions. (Ewwwww!)  So those were quickly removed.   Since then, it has just been a hole that I worry about kids playing in or tripping over.   This afternoon the girls helped me make it into a flower garden!




I love it and am so pleased!  Plus, it was so fun for the girls to help with!  Now I know that once the weather turns super hot again, the flowers won't be able to make it, but for right now we are enjoying them.  Plus that means that after the heat leaves we can try different flowers!


Here is a picture of one of our many new flower pots to brighten up the yard.  We are ready for spring I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment